Who We Are
For over 150 years, the Reformed Church of the Thousand Isles has been letting her light shine in Alexandria Bay, New York. Prior to the church's organization, the Reverend Dr. George Bethune, a summer visitor to the area in the mid 1840's, observed that there were no regular religious services or Sunday School classes offered in the village. He established a Christian education program and sent the Reverend Jerome Davenport to serve as a missionary. During Reverend Davenport's ministry funds were raised for the building of the church, the first edifice of Christian worship in the area. On August 1, 1851, the building was authorized and dedicated as the Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of the Thousand Islands.
Since that time, the Reformed Church has continued to minister to the Alexandria Bay community and beyond through mission work, the services of the Women's Guild, Christian education, youth programs, music, pastoral counselling, outreach, congregational fellowship, and worship services. We fully expect God's hand to continue to lead us to serve in this community through the next one hundred and fifty years and beyond.